University of Houston Athletics Announces Initiatives Focused on Diversity and Inclusion
POSTED: June 17, 2020 -- 5:15 p.m. CT
The University of Houston Athletics Department announced on Wednesday a series of initiatives that focus on diversity, inclusion, social responsibility and ending systemic racism.
The athletics department's diversity and inclusion council – Coogs' All-In – made up of ten staff members and student-athletes, will lead the implementation effort during the 2020-21 academic year and continue to look to expand initiatives in the future.
These efforts are intended to further enhance a culture of diversity and inclusion that is focused on making sustainable changes to our community, state and nation.
SUPPORT The Houston Roundball Review:
Purchase your Coogs' gear at Fanatics.com via this link;
Get ESPN+ via this link;
Save when you get the Disney bundle (ESPN+, Disney+ and Hulu) with this link;
OR, contribute via PayPal or the Cash App.
Coogs' All-In Mission Statement:
To cultivate, foster and promote a diverse and inclusive culture of excellence through accessibility and equity in opportunities, education and resources for University of Houston Athletics.
- Provide UH Athletics administrators, coaches, staff, student-athletes and the campus community with diversity and inclusion-related programming and resources on a year-round basis
- Collaborate with various communities on and off-campus to help ensure equitable participation in scheduled and new athletics and non-athletics events in efforts to support the personal and professional development of our administrators, coaches, staff, and student-athletes
- Ensure the embracement of differences remains an important aspect of UH Athletics through ongoing department-wide, dialogues about relevant issues including race, ethnicity, gender, language, background, physical challenges, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and lifestyle
Initiatives for 2020-21 Academic Year:
- Annual Diversity and Inclusion training for all student-athletes, coaches, and staff.
- Creation of a support panel and forum for student-athletes that involves guest speakers
- "The Broken Table" - Led by FCA director Joe Thompson (FCA), the monthly series with focus on race relations among our university community, city, state and nation.
- Bi-monthly workshops available to student-athletes, coaches, and staff focused on inclusive language, privilege and implicit bias
- Host voter registration drives throughout the academic year to encourage student-athletes and staff to vote in elections.
- Provide student-athletes and staff with flexible scheduling options to vote on Election Day (Nov. 3).
- Continue to focus on availability of mental health services and support for student-athletes, coaches and staff
- Encourage Athletics Department to participate in the RISE Privilege survey: https://risetowin.org/take-action/index.html
- Take the UH Athletics Department's pledge against racism.
- Facilitation of two or more multi-sport team on and off-campus community service events
- Raise awareness of equal justice, equal opportunity and encourage inclusiveness, including during Pride Awareness Month.
CLICK HERE for news and info about the Coogs' men's basketball team.