University of Houston Athletics Announces Initiatives Focused on Diversity and Inclusion
POSTED: June 17, 2020 -- 5:15 p.m. CT
The University of Houston Athletics Department announced on Wednesday a series of initiatives that focus on diversity, inclusion, social responsibility and ending systemic racism.
The athletics department's diversity and inclusion council – Coogs' All-In – made up of ten staff members and student-athletes, will lead the implementation effort during the 2020-21 academic year and continue to look to expand initiatives in the future.
These efforts are intended to further enhance a culture of diversity and inclusion that is focused on making sustainable changes to our community, state and nation.
SUPPORT The Houston Roundball Review via PayPal or via the Cash App.
OR get the Disney bundle:
Get ESPN+, Disney+, and Hulu!!! Save 25% when you bundle all three and get the best movies, shows & sports.
Coogs' All-In Mission Statement:
To cultivate, foster and promote a diverse and inclusive culture of excellence through accessibility and equity in opportunities, education and resources for University of Houston Athletics.
- Provide UH Athletics administrators, coaches, staff, student-athletes and the campus community with diversity and inclusion-related programming and resources on a year-round basis
- Collaborate with various communities on and off-campus to help ensure equitable participation in scheduled and new athletics and non-athletics events in efforts to support the personal and professional development of our administrators, coaches, staff, and student-athletes
- Ensure the embracement of differences remains an important aspect of UH Athletics through ongoing department-wide, dialogues about relevant issues including race, ethnicity, gender, language, background, physical challenges, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and lifestyle
Initiatives for 2020-21 Academic Year:
- Annual Diversity and Inclusion training for all student-athletes, coaches, and staff.
- Creation of a support panel and forum for student-athletes that involves guest speakers
- "The Broken Table" - Led by FCA director Joe Thompson (FCA), the monthly series with focus on race relations among our university community, city, state and nation.
- Bi-monthly workshops available to student-athletes, coaches, and staff focused on inclusive language, privilege and implicit bias
- Host voter registration drives throughout the academic year to encourage student-athletes and staff to vote in elections.
- Provide student-athletes and staff with flexible scheduling options to vote on Election Day (Nov. 3).
- Continue to focus on availability of mental health services and support for student-athletes, coaches and staff
- Encourage Athletics Department to participate in the RISE Privilege survey: https://risetowin.org/take-action/index.html
- Take the UH Athletics Department's pledge against racism.
- Facilitation of two or more multi-sport team on and off-campus community service events
- Raise awareness of equal justice, equal opportunity and encourage inclusiveness, including during Pride Awareness Month.
CLICK HERE for news and info about the Coogs' men's basketball team.
Subscribe in a RSS feeds reader
Subscribe to The HRRs write-ups of Houston Cougars men's basketball games by Email